Skip navigation

All students must earn 40 credits total to earn a high school diploma. The following areas have specific requirements:

  • English language arts: four years x two credits a year = eight credits
  • Math: three years x two credits a year = six credits
    • Completion of algebra 2 is required, beginning with the class of 2022
  • Science: three years x two credits a year = six credits
    • One year each of earth science, life science (biology) and physical science
  • Social studies: three years x two credits a year = six credits
    • One year each of world history and U.S. history; one semester each of economics and government
  • Physical education: four years x one credit a year = four credits
  • Elective courses: 10 credits
  • CPR is also required per Iowa state Law. For more information about this, visit our counseling website.

Please see the CRCSD program of studies for detailed information on available courses.

All students must meet PE requirements in one of the following ways:

  • Take a daily physical education class for one semester only
  • Earn PE credit through participation in marching band or show choir (Rhythmic Movement)
  • Complete an online health class over the course of one semester

College prep recommendations

Over 80% of all Washington graduates pursue a degree beyond high school. Approximately 50% of graduates enroll directly in a four-year college. Many begin at a community college and eventually transfer to a four-year institution.

A general plan for meeting minimum college entrance requirements is shown below. Some colleges will have requirements in addition to those listed.

  • English language arts: four years
  • Math: three years (Including completion of algebra 1, geometry, and algebra 2)
  • Science: three years (Including completion of two years of lab science courses such as biology, chemistry, or physics)
  • Social studies: three years (Including completion of world history, U.S. history, and economics and government)
  • World language: two years study of one language

Dropping a course

A student may only drop a course with the approval of a responsible adult. Each student dropping a class must do the following:

  • Meet with their counselor to discuss how the number of hours remaining on your schedule will be spent
  • Meet with their teacher and return all books and materials checked out
  • Secure signatures from the student’s counselor, teacher, attendance office, and parent/guardian
  • All students in ninth and 10th grades must be enrolled in seven classes and cannot drop a course for a study hall

Additionally, there are three deadlines to know about when dropping a course.

  • If the drop occurs between days one through 10 of the semester, there is no record of the course on the student’s transcript
  • If the drop occurs between days 11 through 45 of the semester, there is a “W” for withdrawn on the student’s transcript. A grade of “W” carries no credit and is not figured into the GPA. The student will be reassigned to study hall or an open hour if they are a senior
  • If the drop occurs day 46 and beyond, the student receives a “W” if they are passing the course at the time of the drop or an “F” if they are failing the course at the time of the drop. Students may drop a course up until the week of final exams. The student will be reassigned to study hall or an open hour if they are a senior

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option

A student may choose one elective course per year to be graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. The criteria applied to all courses taken as satisfactory/unsatisfactory is as follows:

  • Written parental approval is required
  • Students must visit their school counselor for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory request form
  • Satisfactory/unsatisfactory requests must be made within 20 school days of the start of the semester
  • Students must complete all course expectations as if they were receiving a grade. Taking a class S/U (or pass/fail) will, at the completion of the semester, record the letter grade as an S with appropriate credit for a passing grade of D- or higher, and a U with no credit for a failing grade. A letter grade will remain on Infinite Campus throughout the duration of the semester and the S/U option will take effect after grades are posted on transcripts
  • Courses that are taken as satisfactory/unsatisfactory will not be used to compute grade point and/or class rank nor will they be computed for academic honors
  • Students with a failing grade who receive a U will still be subject to activity and athletic eligibility penalties, just as if a grade of F were recorded
  • Classes that do not qualify:
    • Any course required to meet content area graduation requirements (exception: PE courses)
    • Advanced placement courses
  • Driver education may be taken as satisfactory/unsatisfactory without it counting towards a student’s one satisfactory/unsatisfactory course

For more details, please visit out counseling webpage at